Monday, February 20, 2006

The Dice Man;

Reviews

One of the worst books I have read, February 1, 2006
Reviewer: A reader from United Kingdom This book was very hard to read, I had to force myself to continue after each tedious section. I don't think any of the characters were three dimensional, and as such I couldn't relate or empathise with any of them. The Dr Rhinehart character was totally conceited, pretentious, boring, with no depth of character and obsessed with sex to the exclusion of his wife, children, career... None of the relationships had any depth either. I realise it was ironic, but this did not make it any more engaging. The writer is trying to be shocking and thought-provoking but he can't resist focusing, again and again, on gratuitous and violent sex. This distracts from the satire of the mental health community. We are supposed to believe that his intelligent wife and colleagues would not take much more prompt action when confronted with his extreme behaviour.It did seem as though the author had a desire to write about violent and abusive sexual fantasies and used this book as a vehicle to do so. I see that people either love it or hate it. I am very surprised that anyone would love this book.
Was this review helpful to you?

the ultimate airport novel, December 17, 2005
Reviewer: chris j. dardis from Dublin, Dublin Ireland Buy this for a precocious 14 year old on a long plane journey and expand their mind... I was about that age when I read came across this in a friends house and it really blew my head off. Being so young, I actually thought at first that this was a genuine autobiography, which definitely dropped my jaw another notch. However I think if reading this for the first time as an adult I might be somewhat nonplussed. The style is straighforward and the content would tend to leave me wondering if I had nothing better to do. Good fun nonetheless and a welcome antidote to the plethora of self-help titles clogging the shelves these days.

Synopsis;

The cult classic that can still change your life...Let the dice decide! This is the philosophy that changes the life of bored psychiatrist Luke Rhinehart -- and in some ways changes the world as well. Because once you hand over your life to the dice, anything can happen. Entertaining, humorous, scary, shocking, subversive, The Dice Man is one of the cult bestsellers of our time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home